Saturday, May 7, 2011

Movie Review - Doll Face

Doll Face (1945)
Starring: Vivian Blaine, Dennis O'Keefe, Perry Como,
Carmen Miranda, & Martha Stewart
London Public Library Call #: F Dol
Rating: 4/5 Stars

I really enjoyed this film. The Doll Face movie I borrowed from the London Public Library was in black and white. Throughout the movie I definitely thought to myself, "I wonder what those dresses look like in colour." I love musicals and dancing so this movie was a bit hit for me. I really enjoyed it! I love the sultry voices of the female characters and the beautiful Frank Sinatra sound alike voices for the male characters. The plot line was great and interesting. A very cute love story. The movie is about a female who used to be a burlesque entertainer and is wanting to become a well known actress. Unfortunately people believe she isn't "cultured enough." Her boyfriend/manager then believes she should write an autobiography of herself and illustrate how she has culture. Pretty much this film examines Doll Face's ups and downs with her entertainment career. The dancing and singing where my favorite highlights of this movie. Vivian Blaine is quite beautiful and quite elegant in this movie. I really enjoyed the costumes/clothing, makeup and hair styles within this film and how they are different yet also familiar to today's fashion trends. Doll face is an absolutely fabulous movie. I give it a 4 out of 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment