Thursday, May 5, 2011

Book Review - Virgin Territory: Stories from the Road to Womanhood

Virgin Territory: Stories from the Road to Womanhood
By: Cathy Alter
London Public Library Call #: 305.2352 Alt
Rating: 4.5/5 stars
  

I came across this book when looking for reading material for the my Sociology & Women's Studies thesis proposal and topic. I am hoping to write on the subject of female virginity in the North American culture and how due to our patriarchal society, female virginity is often controlled by men and is a measure of women's worth and status. I would recommend this book to females over the age of 18 years old. Some chapters or stories may be suitable for younger audiences, but there is some caution for these younger audiences; as some teens mature differently then others and may find the content to mature.

However, I loved it! While reading it, I would laugh out loud and my boyfriend would just look at me in a weird way. I had to read him some parts as I couldn't stop snickering and going "yup, I here ya girlfriend!" I also learned a lot of information (ex. female hygiene or sexual practices of the past) for myself and my future thesis. This book is a great read for any individual who wants a book for light reading, humour, enjoyment, or educational purposes. This is why I am giving this book a 4.5 out of 5 stars. Enjoy ladies! I did!  

No comments:

Post a Comment