Monday, May 2, 2011

Adult Graphic Novel Review - True Blood: All Together Now Volume 1


True Blood: All Together Now Volume 1

(Graphic Novel)
By: Alan Bail, David Tischman, Mariah Huehner, 
and David Messina
London Public Library Call #: F Bal V.1
Rating: 3.5/5 Stars

About 2 months ago I picked up this graphic novel from the public library in hopes of being able to use it for a Young Adult Booklist on YA graphic novel literature on vampires. After looking at some super "hot/sexual" photos in the book I knew I was not able to include this title in the YA pathfinder. However, I did try and skim through it as I am still trying to make an effort into enjoying graphic novels. So far, I am sold and I do enjoy them! Can you believe it? I can't lol! When I first read this book I didn't really understand it at all. The plot line was confusing but the images where amazing so I just looked at the photos and returned the book to the public library unread. A couple of weeks later, I got the first volume of True Blood, the HBO TV series on DVD from the London public Library. I was hooked!!! It was super hot and I loved the plot line. Unfortunately this graphic novel did not give the storyline any justice. The graphic novel took place approximately mid way through the TV series, which made you need to know the characters, their backgrounds, and who knows who, who has slept with who and who will eventually be sleeping with whom. As I read this graphic novel for the second time after watching the entire first season of True Blood, the book was still confusing and very scattered. However, the illustrations where still very amazing and the clearly reflect the characters physical features and mannerisms. I could totally picture Lafayette and Tara in the TV show episodes dropping the F Bombs with their waving hand motions! Love it! Unfortunately, I still wasn't overly fond of this graphic novel. I like how it had coloured images throughout the whole book and the characters in the book looked very similar to the characters in the TV episodes. Therefore, I give this adult graphic novel a 3.5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment