Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Childhood Memories - Postcards, Cook Books & Rubber Bands

          
I am getting excited to finish my MLIS program and the University of Western Ontario and move back to Ottawa and live with my Mom. I know i'm lame lol. I can't wait to hang out with my Mom in her kitchen and talk, cook/bake, and smell the aromas. One huge childhood memory I have with books is recipe books.

I can't wait to go home and see in the kitchen shelves old cook books (including Irma S. Rombauer and Marion Rombauer Becker's The Joy of Cooking), with old postcards from around the world (mostly from my Tante Rita - who worked as an Ambassador's secretary and later with John Diefenbaker's personal assistant team) used as bookmarks for my Mom's favorite and most used recipes. The topping on the cake for my memory of recipe books is.... rubber bands!
This is a Ladelpha trait my mom picked up being married to my father. My Grandpa Joe always used (and now my Dad always uses) rubber bands to keep things together. My Mom's The Joy of Cooking book is in two pieces and a big blue rubber band holds it together. I love seeing the book like that. My mom has asked for a new copy of the book but neither my brother or myself have gotten her one. Maybe we just can't part with the original book? I guess its a childhood memory we can't part with. It is pretty amazing how a book can be part of a wonderful childhood memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment