Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Week 10 - Case of Twilight

Ok I must confess... I have never read any of the Twilight series books by Stephanie Meyer. I have seen and own all of the movies though! It is quite interesting how a book can create such a huge phenomenon.

Vampires have become the new Barbie!
I remember hearing from friends and the news how fans would line up for hours so they could see the movie right when it came out. I have also heard of book launch parties happening at midnight at Chapters (my mom even went to one lol).
Can you believe this energy is all because of books?
I LOVE IT!

Twilight series has created such a phenomenon, making people go to the biggest extremes to show their admiration for this vampire love story. This even includes getting their bodies tattooed with Twilight themed images. See the image above for an example. This is one of the first images you receive when typing in Twilight on Google.com and doing an image search.

After the Twilight book trilogy was released, then came the movies. Now a Twilight Graphic Novel has been published for Young Adults. I have read the graphic novel and have used this book title in my YA graphic novel pathfinder for my LIS 9364 class assignment. I believe the graphic novel really reflected the first Twilight movie design and storyline. The pages where in black and white, unless they storyline took place in a forest/nature scene. This is where green and yellow colours where used to brighten up the scene. The same thing occurs in the first Twilight movie. The movie setting is quite dark, and not really sunny unless there is a nature scene occurring. So there is some correlation with the movie and graphic novel.

But really, isn't the Twilight fad a good thing for young adults? Doesn't this hype get teens to want to pick up a book and read this series/book/graphic novel? Maybe they will actually go out and read for once because all of their friends just can't stop gushing about it. Personally, I think these young adult fiction crazes are actually positive. Whatever works and gets teens to read (even if it is about a mortal falling in love with a vampire), so be it and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment